Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Basement Advice

Posted by mjs370 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 21:25

Hi,

I have been reading and researching a lot and have come up with the following plan to finish a 600 sqft basement. I am looking for some feedback and / or advice on how to improve this plan. Minimizing the space lost for floor and ceiling is a premium as we have a low roof to start.

1. Use closed cell spray foam for the rim joist and walls for insulation. Do you need to insulate the partition wall at all that divides the room in half?
2. Use metal studs for hanging wall material.
3. First question is what type of wall is best for a mold and moisture resistant wall surface? Possibly T1-11 siding??
4. .5 - 1 inch XPS board for the floor with cork flooring over this. The entire basement has a drain screen around the perimeter which was done by a waterproofing company before I purchased the home.. Can this flooring be placed over top?
5. Install hot water baseboard heat that can use existing natural gas boiler.
6. Add a commercial dehumidifier to help prevent any issues.
7. Looking for the thinnest ceiling possible to minimize space without just using paint. I was looking at CeilingMAX, but not sure if that is very good.

thanks in advance for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Basement Advice

Instead of spraying closed cell foam on the walls, you can use XPS foam boards--min. one inch thickness--followed by the studs and fill the bays with fiber glass or rockwool. This will save a bundle, especially if this part of the job is diy.

A non paper-faced gypsumboard, such as DensArmor Plus, will work well in a basement. However, I have never put anything other than standard drywall in basements with never a problem as long as you provide for dehumidification and washroom/laundryroom exhaust ventilation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here