Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trafficmaster Allure Vinyl Planks in Basement

Posted by tam184 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 4, 09 at 21:10

Were planning on refinishing our basement. The previous owners installed carpet over the old vinyl tiles. We had a few issues with water (downspout issues during some big rain storms) which damaged most of the carpet. Originally, we were planning on installing ceramic tiles to deal with the occasional water damage (were pretty sure it wont happen if we keep up with the gutters and downspouts). However, my husband tested some of the old vinyl tiles and determined that it contained a large percentage of asbestos, so we would rather not have to remove them since breakage is inevitable and thats how the asbestos gets released. So now were looking at using vinyl planks like the Trafficmaster Allure offered at Home Depot, which we can install over the old vinyl tiles.
If youve used these vinyl planks, what are your thoughts on them, especially considering that we will be using them in the basement where moisture can be a concern? I know the site says that they are water resistent. However, how accurate is that? Is it only as good as the installation? Or will we run into problems even if the install is done per the specs? Are there problems with hydrostatic pressure? I know that in some parts of the basement where the concrete slab is painted (like in the furnace room), the paint has bubbled. Im assuming this is probably from a high water table or moisture in the air. Im assuming that since this is a floating floor, we shouldnt have many problems. However, Ive read that people have had problems at the seams. I wonder if that is from installation problems or not letting the planks sit in the room to get acclimated to the temperature and humidity?

Thanks so much for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trafficmaster Allure Vinyl Planks in Basement

There are several handyman websites run by "ruff, gruff and ready" "pros" that sing the praises of these materials in the basement. You can take them at their word.

I prefer the advice of the building scientists at Building Science Corp. who advise keeping vinyl flooring out of the basement. Unless, of course, it's atop any of the systems that provide a way for the moisture drive through the floor to be safely dissipated.

BTW, a recent Colin and Justin show used the planks to cover boring ceramic tile in a large home's lobby. The installer took two tries to get it right, so it may not be that easy to lay down.

o

If you're looking for a tile that's moisture resistant and looks amazing then I would definitely check out www.ceilume.com. I used their drop ceiling tiles in my basement and am thrilled to say the least. Moisture was a huge concern for me as well and I was assured by the Ceilume staff that these would be suitable for my basement, and they were right.

I too checked out the tiles from Home Depot and Lowes but the were so ugly I had to look for something else before deciding on them. I found Ceilume online and got their free samples which can be found here:

http://www.ceilume.com/ceilingtile_browsefreesamples.cfm

When they say Free, they mean it unlike almost all other online tile companies. There was not even a charge for shipping and they gave me a coupon good for 5% off my order. Not much but it definitely helped.

So far I am very pleased, the customer service was great, the product was inexpensive, and the tiles look like they are much more expensive then just the vinyl they are made out of. Good luck to you!

o

spam Pictures, Images and Photos

o

I used them for my gym floor. They have been great. You must be careful when joining the seams as the adhesive is not forgiving at all. Just practice on a strip or two before starting, and be slow and deliberate when laying the strips and you should be fine. My floor is 9 feet below grade and dry, so I have had no problems. If your floor is dry you should be fine as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here