Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Humidity in finished basement vs 'upstairs'

Posted by bcrawfo2 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 07 at 21:04

I'm almost done with my basement finishing. I still don't have my drop ceiling installed.
Carpet was installed on Friday and the installer used a watering can to spread water on the backing of the carpet to aide in stretching. I saw at least two watering cans (gallons) go onto the 22x22 room. How long til you think that should dry out?
I noticed it was pretty humid down there, so I ran the de-humidifier for a while. I was able to get it down to 44%. When I turned it off for today (Monday), it went up to 53%. Upstairs is 46% at the same temperature.
I have a large return and pretty good sized supply. I plan on adding another supply.
The walls of my basement have 1" rigid foam insulation with taped joints, then R13 in the walls. I have delta-fl and OSB under the carpet. This is in a basement that has never been wet.
I need to insulate the rim joists, but that's my last step. I wouldn't think that would add significant moisture.

Should I expect my insulated basement to be very different humidity-wise than the rest of my living space (when using the same hvac system)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Humidity in finished basement vs 'upstairs'

Even with the board insulation--I hope it's extruded polystyrene--you need mechanical dehumidification to keep humidity below 50%. Especially as you have carpet, which is partial to mould growth. (BTW, I never heard of carpet layers using water.) See Building Science.

The finished basement in my current home is insulated the same as yours, but with open cell in the rims. In the summer I pull out at least 20 pints a day from about 1650 sf.

o
RE: Humidity in finished basement vs 'upstairs'

Our basement is always at least 10% more humid than the house, sometimes more. The only time it hits 50% without a dehumidifier is in winter.

My understanding is that AC is inadequate to remove humidity from a basement because basements are typically cool and the AC can't run long enough to remove the humidity. We have a bone-dry basement and run the dehumidifier from May until early October. I'm surprised you even need AC in the basement, ours is only 60-65 degrees in the summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here