Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcrawfo2

Humidity in finished basement vs 'upstairs'

bcrawfo2
16 years ago

I'm almost done with my basement finishing. I still don't have my drop ceiling installed.

Carpet was installed on Friday and the installer used a watering can to spread water on the backing of the carpet to aide in stretching. I saw at least two watering cans (gallons) go onto the 22x22 room. How long til you think that should dry out?

I noticed it was pretty humid down there, so I ran the de-humidifier for a while. I was able to get it down to 44%. When I turned it off for today (Monday), it went up to 53%. Upstairs is 46% at the same temperature.

I have a large return and pretty good sized supply. I plan on adding another supply.

The walls of my basement have 1" rigid foam insulation with taped joints, then R13 in the walls. I have delta-fl and OSB under the carpet. This is in a basement that has never been wet.

I need to insulate the rim joists, but that's my last step. I wouldn't think that would add significant moisture.

Should I expect my insulated basement to be very different humidity-wise than the rest of my living space (when using the same hvac system)?

Comments (2)