Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with leaky corner

Posted by wangshan (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 08 at 20:48

I have a problem with drainage in my yard. As you can see from the pic , the driveway slopes towards the house. That corner of the basement which is under the stairs gets trickles of water when it rains a lot. I also noticed water coming in beneath the back door where the house meets the concrete. My plan is to attach rebar to the house and build out a conrete stoop, then build a slope along the side (you can see where there was a vine root) so that water slopes away from the side of the house. The opening you see is for the downspout and the other is a drain that goes into a catch basin. I just had those both replaced 1-2 years ago. Does anyone forsee a problem with this or have any suggestions on what not to do? I am in Chicago and get lots of freezing, lots of rain and snow.The cracked concrete was put in by the plumbers who did not do a good job at all. Te other stuff has been there forever.

Here is a link that might be useful: basement

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with leaky corner

I too am in Chicago and I see big problems.

Where is the downspout? I am guessing above the big dark stain on the siding? IF you put the downspout into its drain, where would it and the "catch basin" drain go?

From that photo, add a downspout, pull up the concrete in that square and grade it away from the house. AND, use the proper caulk for that crack under the door.

Those things alone would probably fix it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here