Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving a support column

Posted by bosun2 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 07 at 20:47

Hi--we are planning to make our basement a bit more liveable. I'm interested in moving a cloumn in the center of the roow. I realize that this would require a beam of sorts, I assume steel or laminated wood, and two beefy supports on either side. What am I missing? Do I need to bust the floor and put in footings below the new support posts?

Who does this sort of work? We are not hiring a GC for the project. What sort of tradesperson do I call?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving a support column

This job may or may not be bigger than it seems.

You definitely need to break the concrete, excavate to undisturbed soil for new pads, criss cross them with #6 rebar and place the concrete; then put a steel beam across the columns, best to be welded in place.

Provide for adequate temporary support before you remove the column!

For sizing and pad specs, I would suggest a professional engineer would be ideal; your local building department might also be able to properly advise you. Typically, you would need a permit, as this is structural work.

If I didn't do it myself, I'd probably get a labourer for the digging; a carpenter/handy guy for framing the pads, locating the posts and beam and mixing and placing the concrete; and a welder.

The unforseen: you hit a sewage line in your floor, meaning you have to relocate the pad(s), or an immovable boulder or bedrock, requiring a rethink of the support. If you're doing this in a well-built newer home it may be quite a demo job breaking high mpa concrete--up to 5" thick and cutting any underlying mesh and removing 4-6" of gravel.

o
RE: Moving a support column

"We are not hiring a GC for the project. What sort of tradesperson do I call?"

You need a GC.
You are also likely to need an engineer to approve the changes.
A beam to support another beam (what I think you are describing) will also need an engineers stamp.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here