Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is a garage under the house a basement?

Posted by behaviorkelton (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 12, 06 at 19:57

My house sits on a slope. The garage is under the house with most of it under ground level. The garage has a garage door and a door with jalousy windows on the front... so the entire front side is exposed for entry.

I do see one area on where moisture seems to have found the block wall, but...

Does this kind of "basement" require the same moisture/mold concerns as a true closed basement?

Being from Florida, I know nothing about basements... I just moved to Tennessee.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is a garage under the house a basement?

Your garage does sounds similar to a walk-out basement. Even though it's not living space,
I would still try to address the moisture problems none the less. Investigate how the water is getting in and remedy. Usually, it's drainage or grading problems. Hopefully, some of the experts will chime in.
-jasper

o

Thanks. I guess I'm thinking that mold requires darknesss and steady dampness to get a foothold... and possibly a "closed" environment.

Since a garage is usually very ventilated ("open"), I was thinking that mold would not be a problem... but now I'm guessing I am wrong on that.

o

I guess my next question is:
Does a walk out/garage basement benefit from a dehumidifier?

o

don't think it would work with as open as a garage can be.
i would look for drainage issues like jasper suggested. and increase ventilation and light: leave the door open
diggerb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here