Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wiquilter

Wet Basment

wiquilter
15 years ago

We purchased our home 2 years ago. The home is 4 years old now. The basment is "raised" with large windows on one side.That side of the basement is finished off with dry wall and carpet etc. We have water leaking in on that side of the basement. The first summer it happened I called the real estate agent who sold us the house and said I thought the previous owner (who moved out of state) did not disclose a water problem. Opps, was about all I got. Then I called the builder who has built several homes in our area and asked if they could come out and take a look and see what the problem was. Yeah, right.

My question is what responsiblity does the builder have? You know the dry wall is damp underneath. And with each rain the dampness travels farther out. The carpet is ruined. We paid a good price for the home and I can't afford to put thousands in my basement. Not to mention, how on earth could I sell it? I guess I feel that builder should stand behind his work. Shouldn't he? Do I have any recourse here?

FYI, I had a plumber out to check the sump pump and he said that wasn't my problem. In fact, there is just alittle water in there and the pump isn't even running.

The water is at the complete opposite end of the basement.

None of my neighbors around me are having a problem. That's what is leading me to believe it has to do with the building of the house.

I hope I'm not rambling to much I'm just so upset!

Thanks,

Karen

Comments (2)