Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Covering dirt in half basement

Posted by don46 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 5, 09 at 18:14

Our 1920s house has a half basement, that is a concrete floor with banks of dirt up to the foundation walls around the perimter. I'd like to clean and neaten up the basement and want to begin by covering the dirt with 6 mill black plastic sheeting. I was thinking of just using bricks to hold it in place around the perimeter and where it meets the concrete floor. In places there are wood partitions separating the floored area and the dirt crawl space. Is this a good idea? What suggestions do you have for installation? Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Covering dirt in half basement

Several years ago I had my circa 1870 rock cellar walls sprayed with gunite concrete on the inside. The contracter also put down a layer (4-6") of gunite on a small remaining section of dirt floor. The difference in the cellar moisture level after covering such a small space was hard to believe.

Anything you can do to prevent moisture migration from the dirt to the cellar will help. Six mil plastic would work but would have to be lapped up onto the foundation walls and sealed with roofing cement or something similar. A similar lapping and sealing would be needed against the wooden walls, but here a product like Ice and Water Shield lapped down over the plastic would probably be better. I think I'd also want to check the wood walls carefully for rot in this kind of environment before doing anything with them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here