Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daimbert

Evidence of some spalling...don't buy the house?

daimbert
9 years ago

Hello everyone,

Well after many years of struggles my wife and I are finally buying our first home. It a lovely expanded cape in Long Island NY. The other day we had a inspection and we just got the inspection report today. The only concern I have is the fact that the inspector found evidence of some spalling in the half finished basement. The inspector did not seem worried about it and attributed most of problem with improper grade in two areas and some down spouts that need to be extended away from the house. He pretty much stated that all basements are going to have some issues with water and that the seller just did not keep up with the maintenance around the house. He recommended simply to regrade the soil, fix the cracked patio and fix the downspouts. Lastly, he recommended a dehumidifier in the basement.

Now this is all well and good but a close friend of ours brought a home that showed no sign of problems in the basement but months later became a nightmare. Apparently the previous owner kept painting over the unfinished basement wall to hide the problems. Could this be the case with me.

The inspector didn't think the issue should make me not buy the home but wanted to get your take.

Once I get the home, who do I call to do future testing. Finally, anyone have any ball park idea how much it would cost to regrade the soil around the house (I only have a 60 X100 lot).

Please help me decide.

Thanks

Comments (2)