Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
May I ask about a crawlspace? I am buying a house

Posted by bldn10 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 16:07

to renovate that has a conventional foundation w/ <2' crawlspace. (The plumbers will hate me.) I crawled underneath and it has a black plastic vapor barrier that has done its job keeeping the structure dry. However, poor grading and drainage around the foundation has allowed water to get underneath the plastic, and it is a 2" deep bog underneath. I'm thinking I should pull all that plastic out and allow it to dry out under there, maybe even having to set up some fans to pull moisture out. I may be able to reuse the plastic after rinsing it off. Obviously, I will do drainage/grading work and maybe put up gutters. Does this sound like a good plan?

FWIW on the topic of basements, the last house I bought had a 13x13 basement w/ a sump pump. Unfortunately, it was a foreclosure and the power had been off about a year. 2' of standing water! After pumping it out and getting the sump pump back online it remained damp. I ended up having a contractor put in a perimeter French drain that fed the sump pump - and no more moisture problems.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: May I ask about a crawlspace? I am buying a house

If the price is right and the contractors are reasonable..
I would not touch an improperly built/designed house for more than $10 grand above its land price.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here