Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fire-code sheetrock required?

Posted by tomcat2k01 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 6, 06 at 15:31

I'm adding a basement bathroom with a new wall that will be within 42" of the furnace (oil fired). The chimney pipe is more than 60" away. Am I required to use fire-code sheetrock (5/8") to be in compliance with the building/fire code? I have the neccessary permits so the work will be inspected. I'm in Fairfield county,CT.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fire-code sheetrock required?

I am reasonably certain that no special material is required. What prompts the question? For definitive answer, ask your local inspector.

o

I'm asking because the existing wall that separates the unfinished furnace/store room from the finished basement is 5/8" sheetrock. The new bathroom is located in this room.As you suggested, I'll check with the inspector. Thanks

o

I don't know the answer to your question, but 5/8" gypsum wallboard is not necessarily Type X or fire-code. 5/8" is just 5/8" unless it's marked firecode. You can can get 1/2" type x as well. just to clarify for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here