Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How fast show a dehumidfier dry a basement....

Posted by Chris0831 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 15:29

Greetings all.....

I have had a moisture problem in my basement like.....forever. Recently I took measures to get the water away from the walls during a storm event, but like most basements, it's quite humid.

I bought a AprilAire dehumidifier that is "suppose" to be capable of removing 90 pints a day. I placed it at the far end of the basement where the problem is at it's worst...walls and floor are damp. The RH started out at 90% at approximately 72 degrees. The other end of the basement was at 88% at about 72 degrees. After running continuously for 24 hours, the end where the dehumidifier is at 75% and 75 degrees and the other end is at 84% at 72 degrees. The basement is about 2500 sq feet and is unfinished and a fairly open design.

Does that sound reasonable? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How fast show a dehumidfier dry a basement....

It took almost 2 years of nearly non-stop running to get my basement from 75% down to 50%. Now the units rarely run. So be patient. And don't hesitate to empty the bucket whenever you are near the unit, even if the bucket is not full at that moment. When the bucket is full the unit is not running and is "falling behind".

o

Thank you for taking the time and effort to respond. I figured it would take longer to to get the moisture out of the walls and wood then it did to initially draw it our of the air. I don't have a bucket, it's draining directly into the sump well, so I don't have to worry about that. It's continuing to fall slowly.....

o

There's a constant inflow of moisture into your basement through the walls and floors, so it's not just a matter of getting the moisture out and you're done. It's a continuous job.

Ideally, the RH should be 50% or less.

Controlling moisture at its source would greatly reduce dehumidification costs. That would include sealing the basement from the exterior, keeping all windows and vents closed during high-humidity seasons and adding semi-permeable or impermeable insulation on the exterior walls and the basement floor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here