Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomcat2k01

Vent options for basement dryer & bath

tomcat2k01
17 years ago

Adding a basement bathroom and laundry center with a gas dryer. This is a walkout basement with a deck over the area the bathroom is located. Originally the plumber thought the gas dryer vent and bathroom exhaust fan vent would go out above the foundation wall and through the deck ledger however there isn't enough clearance. He thinks the only option now is to go through the 8-10" poured concrete. This will be very expensive if it needs to be bored through. Any ideas or experiences as well as a cost estimate for the boring would be helpful. He thinks he maybe able to use a large hammer drill to cut the hole but he needs to check. I'm in Northeastern CT.

Comments (7)

• jasper_60103
    17 years ago

tomcat:
    I think this type of thing is fairly common. My Mom's dryer vent goes thru the brick wall.
    I think its fairly reasonable to be concerned seeing its the first time he's done it though?

When I had my gas stove installed in my basement, boring thru the concrete wall was one option to vent. I chose the other option though. Also, they would have charged me around $300 to drill thru the wall.
    Goodluck.
    -jasper

• GammyT
    17 years ago

If he needs to check if a hammer drill is correct, he has no idea what he is doing and is guessing. Get another opinion from someone who does know what they are doing.

Heck get a permit, they don't cost much but they are assurance that some idiot isn't going to hammer drill holes in your foundation or cut holes in your ledger then say OOPS, that won't work.

I don't know about where you live but where I live all basement bathrooms have to be tied into an out the roof vent.

• bus_driver
    17 years ago

If cutting through the concrete is necessary, a rotary hammer will be several times faster than a hammer drill. The rotary hammer typically uses SDS bits. Some folks do not seem to know the difference between the two. A small air chisel similar to those used in muffler shops also makes fast work of cutting holes in concrete if one has a compressor that is suitable.

• tomcat2k01
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the feedback on venting options. Have not heard from the plumber yet. Did some research on tools and there is a handheld wet core drill that can cut a 4" hole through concrete. Hopefully the plumber can rent one. Will post again once this is done. BTW- We have a permit and the inspector does not have an issue with venting the bath exhaust and dryer below the roofline.

• sweet11395
    17 years ago

in regards to the bath exhaust I believe the home owner is referring to a simple overhead exhaust fan not the toilet/sink vent pipe for the plumbing which needs to go up through the roof

• brickeyee
    17 years ago

"...handheld wet core drill that can cut a 4" hole through concrete"

Watch out. Core drills require great care to keep them straight, and getting a 4 inch hole started is going to be a real PITA.
    You probably should at least call a concrete coring company and talk with them. They are often more reaonable $$ than you would think.

• worthy
    17 years ago

My HVAC installer uses a dry diamond core drill. As did a plumber's helper drilling a block wall and floors. It can be a brutal job.

Here is a link that might be useful: Core Drills