Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insulating lower level...??

Posted by chitowngc (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 31, 10 at 14:28

I have a lower level that is half in ground/half above. The framing has newer R-13 batt insulation. I have a bunch of 2" pink board insulation(polysomething??). I have a few options what to do to make best use of it..

1. Move the metal framing(see pic) to allow insulation between framing and concrete foundation. This will give me a good vapor barrier.

2. Cut the insulation to fit between metal studs.

3. Use the boards over the framing and batt insulation to give better R value?

4. Buy more boards and install insulation over metal studs and drywall over that?

5. Return the boards to HD and use the money elsewhere?

Couple things.. I'm on a tight budget. I've been told conflicting info on installing pink boards over kraft faced batt insulation? Covering concrete foundation... does it really help? Since it's insulated by the ground around the outside, do you gain much insulating inside?

Thank you all...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insulating lower level...??

What a shame someone went to the effort to put in metal studs without understanding some basics about insulation.

The problem with the metal framing is not its distance from the wall, but the fact that it sits on lumber that is not protected from the basement floor by at least a strip of poly, as per Code. You are now guaranteed to get rot and mould in that wood.

For the easiest fix, I'd swap out the wood baseplates and put an equivalent strip of polystyrene (XPS )--the pink board--in their places. If you leave the framing in the same position, you can slip in sheets of 1/2" XPS between the wall and framing.

If you are in a cold zone, you will have to add at least another inch of XPS between the metal studs. In warmer zones, you can add fiber glass batts on top of the 1/2" XPS. Use tongue and groove XPS or at least tape all the seams. For the above-grade portion, you should add more fg.

The rule of thumb devised by building scientist Joe Lstiburek for insulating homes north of the Mason-Dixon Line is "10-20-40-60 ." These are the R factors for, respectively, the basement slab, basement foundation walls, above-grade walls and the attic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement Insulation Systems

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here