Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
s_carroll_gw

damp basement wall fix?

s_carroll
13 years ago

Hey all,

My wife and I recently purchased a Baltimore row-home that was built in the 1850s. It was remodeled recently and everything above ground seems great. The problem is in our basement, where a small outbreak of mold has us concerned (the mold killed a hat and a backpack, nothing serious). We have one small wall at the back of the basement that faces into the ground that seems to be the problem. On days after it rains the wall feels damp to the touch. We haven't noticed any leaks or puddles of water but the basement definitely has that 'damp' feel to it.

We were wondering what our best course of action would be the correct the issue. Is a dehumidifier the best/simplest option to keep the air dry since water leakages doesn't seem to be a big issue. Or should I apply a thick coat of DRYLOCK water sealer to the brick? Or would a product like LastiSeal Concrete & Brick Sealer be more appropriate? Or is it just time to call in the professionals?

Oh, and I should mention that digging down to waterproof from the outside probably is not an option, since there is an addition that extends over the interior foundation wall that is the problem. So direct rain water isn't an issue either (ie downspouts coming right down on the wall etc).

The wall is only about 10ft wide by 8ft high.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022