Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
behaviorkelton

How to tell when you are dry?

behaviorkelton
17 years ago

I'm going to try to solve a drainage problem in my yard around the house.

So how can one tell if the basement is officially "dry"? I mean, sometimes it takes days for the wetness to soak its way down to the basement trouble spots... right?

Even then, it might be hard to determine if the area is a fresh bit of dampness or if it's just an old stain from previous dampness.

When I complete my attempt to create a french drain, I want to somehow determine (with confidence) that I actually fixed the problem without having to ponder "new dampness or old stain?".

I bought the house a couple weeks ago. The weather has been dry throughout my time here, so I haven't been able to see what happens after a good rain... or how long it takes to happen.

So is there some cool ingenious way to confidently determine if the problem has been solved?

I can tell that the damp staining on my basement wall is right below an area where my downspout (gutter) enters the ground. I tested the drain with a hose and see that the water does indeed exit through the exit point on that drain (onto the driveway).... but could it be that it leaks a bit?

Thanks for any help!

Kelton

Comments (3)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County