Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement Storage

Posted by parkplaza (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 19, 09 at 13:18

I have some nooks that I am framing in to cover pipes. Do they say actual cabinet doors seperate...something cheap like the white particle board stuff you get a box store. I want to make some hidden shelves in the spaces, but am trying to avoid a homemade look such as paneling doors, plywood, etc. Something that makes it look like a professional built in. And do not need the entire cabinet...just the door to attach the hinges to the frame out I am doing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement Storage

I'm with you about not having important spaces look like afterthoughts. I finished our basement and have attempted to utilize all of the space.

Photos can be viewed from the link below and many have comments. Here are some of the items I used to hide necessary features yet make the space useful:
A wine rack which, when removed, permits service to an exhaust fan.
French Doors - one set for a storage room, another to disguise a laundry tub sink and permit access to storage below the stairs.
The right side of the fireplace opens via a piano hinge attached to the wall. The corner trim is attached to the door and runs floor to ceiling. A full width shelf inside permits storage of long items and framed art.
A flush door enclosing the electrical panel is deep enough to store folding tables.
A bookcase on casters rolls forward to service the furnace.

The photos include a floor plan which I believe is the critical element for a build-out. Hope some ideas work for you. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement Photos

o
RE: Basement Storage

Yes, they do sell doors separately, and you can have them made to the size and style you need. You probably have a local woodworker supplier that does this. Or try Rockler.com.

Trying the local route is probably better for getting all your questions answered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here