Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rusty321_gw

How to address basement seepage along one wall

Rusty321
9 years ago

We have a house built in 2009 with a poured concrete foundation, an exterior drain tile system and a sump pit. We generally don't have water problems in the basement except for the following two instances:
(1) one time the switch on our sump pump quit working, and although the pit didn't overflow before we fixed it, there was some moisture seeping up at one point along one wall in the basement, appearing as a dark area alongside a floor crack. This disappeared when we fixed the sump pump.

(2) This spring we had a "rain event" with 3 inches of rain in one day and nearly 5" over three days. Along the same wall as before, but in three spots, water started seeping into the basement. I was able to prevent puddles forming by changing out some towels placed along the wall. During the worst of the rain, the sump pump was running about every 10 - 15 seconds, but the sump pit wasn't overflowing. My non-expert speculation is that there was just so much ground water that our drain tile wasn't able to drain it into the sump fast enough (or the ground water level rose up to the level of our slab and the drain tile wasn't able to drain it away fast enough).

We want to finish the basement into living space, but obviously want to address any water problems before investing the money in renovations.

One basement company came in with a high pressure sales routine and told us that we needed $14,000 worth of interior drain tile (french drain) installed. Another company came and told us that a more powerful sump pump would fix the problem.

I have different concerns about the two solutions. Based on the high pressure sales routine, I have a feeling that the first company may be trying to sell us an expensive product we don't need. But, as for the other company, I wonder how a more powerful sump pump would fix the seepage problem, given that the existing sump pump was (barely) keeping up with the water coming into the pit?

Are there other systems/solutions I should be considering or asking about? Thanks in advance!

Comment (1)