Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long for water to seep through clay?

Posted by behaviorkelton (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 22, 06 at 12:00

This is a similar question to another post I made earlier. It has finally started raining here (Tennessee) after a long drought.

I bought this house during this dry time, so I was not able to see if my attempts at redirecting water away from the house were successful. I did notice an obvious water seepage stain in one part of the basement (below a gutter downspout).

So I have now dug up a patio which allowed me to fix the gutter issue.

Now that it has rained, how long do I have to wait before I can be relatively sure that I have solved the problem. I have heard that it can take a long time for the water to make it's trip down into the basement.... so, days?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long for water to seep through clay?

Clay? After a rain here, I get puddles in my clay yard (house under construction) that never soak in!

o

Clay is used to create a barier that water will not penetrate.
If you have more than 6 inches or so of solid clay the only penetration wil be if their are cracks in the clay from settling.

o

That's good to know. I have been digging in areas that are heavy clay and bringing that toward the sides of the house and packing it down with one of those heavy square tamping things.

I think I have the problem licked, I just had heard that water sometimes takes a while to show up in the basement.

Still, I'm waiting for some good steady rain so I can can go out in the yard and watch how things flow and then, later, see if the basement remains dry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here