Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mele63

Building a raised wall around sump pump pit??

mele63
17 years ago

Recently, we had too much water (from record rainfalls) coming into the sump pit for the existing pit to handle. (for purposes of this inquiry, assume any and all other measures for keeping the water out of the pit in the first instance have been employed).

I want to add an additional pump to handle future events. My furnace fan motor is close to the existing pit, and is but a few inches off the floor. As such, I have no "cushion" in the event I get even a few inches of water in the future. This recent event cost me $650.00 in furnace repairs.

The sump pit is too samll for two submersible pumps. Even if I could cram another pump in, the difference between the two float level settings would only be a few gallons at best, causing the second pump to run for only seconds at a time.

Basically, I want to increase the dimensions and volume of the sump pit, while at the same time adding a cushion of protection before water starts flowing out onto the basement floor. I'm thinking of getting some bricks and a bag of Quikcrete and simply building a little wall around the sump pit.

I will have to come up with some way of allowing water that does happen to end up on the basement floor (broken water heater, plumbing disaster, ect) to be pushed into the pit. Perhaps a PVC pipe at ot below floor level that can be capped when not needed?

Anyone have thoughts, comments, or suggestions? Is there a simpler solution? Are there bettier materials for constucting the "wall" (I've never laid a brick in my life BTW). Am I missing any pitfalls of this design?

Comments (4)