Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP, Humidity is below 50% but my basement still has a smell

Posted by Pauly78 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 11:26

We bought a house with a finished basement last year. The humidity was off the charts (67%) and bought a dehumidifier a month ago. It works well and the humidity holds between 46 and 50%. However, I still have a smell. How do I get my the place to smell just like upstairs? I want to be able to open the door to the basement and not notice an immediate difference in smell. Can this be done, or is there only so much you can do with a basement? I should also mention that I ripped up the carpet last year, as I thought some of the smell might be trapped in there. The only thing left is the sheetrock and ceiling tiles. Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP, Humidity is below 50% but my basement still has a smell

The only thing left is the sheetrock and ceiling tiles.

...and the wood framing behind the drywall.

Unfortunately, once a basement has been a mould farm for years, often there's not much you can do but remove everything and start over.

First, though, be sure the odour is mould, not sewer gas from a dried-out floor drain or improperly vented bathroom or kitchen fixture.

o
RE: HELP, Humidity is below 50% but my basement still has a smell

As part of mold testing I do and the least invasive way of checking for moisture issues is to use a IR Thermometer which will use a laser pointer to highlight an area I know Harbor Frieght has inexpensive version if there is a store in you area.

Point at different areas of wall and cielings etc and the areas with moisture problems will show a few degrees cooler temperature then the other similar surfaces.

I would do this after doing as worthy suggested pour some water in your floor drain to make sure the P trap is full so sewer gas is not from the drain.

Here is good link to mold questions and answers.

Good luck,

Eddie

Here is a link that might be useful: EPA infromation very helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here