Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mitigation System?

Posted by JJAV1234 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 10:38

My basement had a radon reading close to 4 a year ago. Recently we gutted the basement to refinish it but we want to take care of the radon issue first. We looked into a mitigation system, which looks like it would help the problem but we are also considering another option since we get a little water down there too. We are considering using Blue Max to seal the walls and floors. From my understanding, the Blue Max will stop the radon from entering my home just as well as the mitigation system. Anyone know if this is correct? I would prefer to just use the Blue Max to solve both the water and radon issues and forgo the mitigation system all together.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mitigation System?

Stopping water entry from the inside of a foundation does nothing to stop water damage inside the wall and under the footings. As for radon, even if a water-based sealant could seal every visible crack and crevice it will miss the many other entryways into the basement for an invisible, odour free gas, such as drains, voids in blocks, water-lines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Radon mitigation systems

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here