Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plastic on dirt crawlspace floor

Posted by wianno (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 28, 06 at 10:28

My dirt crawlspace is very damp, and when I was under there the other day, there was condensation on the wood and insulation. Not good.

Would a simple layer of 8mil plastic go a long way to fixing this or am I just wasting my time? I am looking at more permanent solutions too (see rubble foundation post).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plastic on dirt crawlspace floor

That is the way to go, works great. Just lap it up the wall of the crawlspace and staple it on the sill plate. Overlap all the seams by at least 2 ft. Best thing you can do.

o

yeah but doesn't water still get onto the plastic by overlapping it?

o

"yeah but doesn't water still get onto the plastic by overlapping it?"

The purpose is to reduce evaporation from the damp earth, not stop actual liquid water.

o

but what if water did get onto the plastic adn being that its not a level floor water wil form puddles. Then your left with puddles of water that must be removed.

o

ANd then it will evpoarate and increse the humidity in the area for a while.
This is what ventiallation of teh crawl space is for.
And how did the water get there?
It indicates even more serious problems than moisture from the exposed earth.

o

here in my area in Syracuse ny, it's common for water to seep up through the rocky foundation floor in rainy wether. I however have been lucky because in my location I hardly ever see water when others on the stret get a foot of water. but ocassionally on hard rain days I will see some water come up through, but very patchy and nothing you can fill a bucket with.

I can't wait to move this fall to a home with a basement (dry) but I wanted to lay palstic down but didn't want to have the worries of water seeping therough the overlap. stagnet/still water grosses me out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here