Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preventing Water from Getting into Basement

Posted by the-tech-guy (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 9:55

I just experienced some water enter in my basement at the cove joint. Now I know everyone says to start solving this issue by looking outside first. So my question is what is the best material to use outside around the house that has the best protection from water seeping down? Is it special type of rocks, mulch, concrete, etc.? Also what is the recommended slope for the grade? thx!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preventing Water from Getting into Basement

The minimum positive site drainage is a drop of six inches in the first ten feet.

A clay "cap" under any topsoil is the ideal material next to the foundation.

But before you start any such major work, check the obvious--which is not so obvious to many property owners: functioning eavestroughs and downspouts that divert the water far from the foundation wall, at least 4-12" ins between the soil and masonry or siding, limited or no foundation plantings.

o
RE: Preventing Water from Getting into Basement

Three things � 1. Make sure your downspouts and gutters are in good working order, (overflowing gutters and poorly directed downspouts are major culprits in basement water intrusion). 2. Make sure you landscaping slopes away from your home, (there is no set sloping degrees however the more slope and the farther from the house the better). 3.Use as little decretive mulch & gravel as possible, (both hold water and contribute to basement water intrusion so in this case, less is better).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here