Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Damp Basement Questions

Posted by durutti (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 17, 09 at 9:53

My wife and I purchased our first home a couple of months ago. It is a 1950s Cape Cod located in the hills of western MA. The main issue we are dealing with is the damp basement. This is due mainly to two issues. First, the previous owners had the gutter water dump right at the foundation. To fix that I am installing an underground drainage system to take all that water to the storm drain.

Second is the condition of the basement concrete floor. There are a number of cracks, and the previous owners seemed to have dug up small portions of the concrete floor. This leads to capillary dampness around the cracks.

My question then is whether I can fix the capillary dampness by repairing the cracks with new cement (perhaps special cement is waterproof?), or whether the only way to really fix this is to pour a new floor entirely? TIA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Damp Basement Questions

Exactly why did the previous owners dig up small portions of the concrete floor??? Were they burying something (someone)??

o

LOL... I have no idea. Some of it makes sense (at some point they decided to put the oil line to the furance in the cement), put most doesn't. Just trying to find out if using a patch cement would be a good idea, or should the entire floor be recemented. Thanks.

o

I considered the same thing in my basement to cover up asbestos tiles, but was told that the cement or concrete drying would create major problems for any wood surfaces nearby including the hardwood floors above.

o

Intersting. We do have hardwood floors on the first floor. I guess I will stick with just regular cement then. Thanks for the input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here