Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fixing wetness from the outside?

Posted by behaviorkelton (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 9:36

I'm closing on a 60 year old home soon. The first order of business is to do whatever it takes to make the basement as dry as possible *without* the use of dehumidifiers or sump pumps.

My idea is to get a foundation/structural engineer or other expert to give advice on what can be done *from the outside of the home* to ensure that water has no reason to enter the basement.

Obviously, I'm expecting that we'll need to have the area around my house sculpted along with a french drain type solution.

Am I on the right track here?
Should I contact a fancy pants engineer or would a basement/foundation company be sufficient?

Before I do anything else with the house, I'd like to start with a good foundation-basement.

(also, what did people do with their basements before dehumidifiers?)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fixing wetness from the outside?

what did people do with their basements before dehumidifiers

Before there were basements, there were cellars--dark, dank and unfinished. Humidity, not trapped behind finished walls, wasn't a problem. The vegetables didn't mind it. But since we've decided to treat basements as living space, and use lots of moisture sensitive materials to make it so, the moisture has to be controlled. Early on, compressive air conditioning was somewhat effective. But as homes have tightened up and insulation levels have increased, mechanical dehumidification has become the standard. Try as you might, there's no magic away around it.

AS for liquid (bulk) water penetration, you don't need to invest in a structural engineer to tell you to: 1) slope the grade away from the basement; 2) keep water hungry plants/ flower beds away from the foundation; 3) be sure eavestroughs aren't leaking; 4) take downspouts far from the foundation, or better, yet run them to underground weepers far out on your property.

Sump pumps and dehumidifiers serve different purposes. Sump pumps remove bulk water; dehumidifiers remove excess moisture from the air, moisture that is inevitable. (Assuming you're not in a desert climate.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Building Science Corp. on basements (BSD-103)

o
RE: fixing wetness from the outside?

You know, I was thinking just that.

Looking at this basement....and others.... I'm thinking, "there is no way that these spaces were ever dry".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here