Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to level a concrete floor for tile?

Posted by tomcat2k01 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 8, 06 at 8:27

I'm installing a 5'x5' half bath in the basement and wish to install ceramic tile over the existing concrete. The concrete pour is not level and I'm wondering what my options are to correct it without affecting the toilet mount which has the clearance for the tile.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to level a concrete floor for tile?

How out of level is your floor? There are leveling compounds available in the flooring section of your local home center but depending on the condition of the floor you might run into trouble with the closet flange.

If the floor isn't out more than 3/16" to 1/4" over the five feet, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most folks don't study bathroom floors and the tile and grout lines will help to confuse the eyes too. You can fudge a bit by being a little generous with the thinset too.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here