Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
water in basement, again

Posted by eaglemom100 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 07 at 23:33

I have a long detailed problem and am seeking your help. My mom's house in central Kansas has water in the basement, again. This is the third time in May. However, where she lives they have received an incredable 28 inches (you read that correctly 28 inches) of rain. The ground is now so saturated it is leaking up from the ground. It doesn't make anyone feel better but almost everyone there is having this same problem. I know when the house was built they had to blast through lots of sandstone.

So having filling you in on the details what, if anything, should be do. The paneling is ruined and will be taken down. Is there anything to stop the darned rain from leaking in?

We've put extenders on the downspouts, cleaned out the gutters and cleaned out the windowwells in an attempt to help any other rains from coming in. With that much rain we can not have dirt brought in for the foundation because its too wet! I will admit that does need to be done but it is not severe.

So any idea's? It has gotten very very expensive to have people come in and use pumps, heaters, blowers, etc. Then clean the carpet only to have them have to do it again 4 days later. The ground is just unable to adsorb any more water. Any idea's or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: water in basement, again

When the ground cannot absorb any more water you are, in effect, below the water table. Since it's too late to wrap waterproofing under and around the basement floor there is no sure cure. Exposing the entire foundation and waterproofing with a sprayed on material and then a membrane is the best that can be done and is still not 100%.

But when you get more than a years worth of rain in a month you'll always be at risk. I note an educational site on Kansas weather says: "In central and western Kansas rainfall is seldom enough to cause serious damage." Wet comfort indeed.

o
RE: water in basement, again

We did more grading around our home, but before doing so we dug it up and applied a layer of plastic underneath the grading so the water flows away from the house. Our problem was a step crack at that time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here