Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement Material

Posted by glamppa (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 23:02

New home construction is starting in a few weeks. Looking for opinions on going with a block or icf 9' foundation. It's a 2 story home in Northern, MN. I've been researching it a lot and still have trouble making a decision.

Thanks for any feedback.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement Material

If you can't reach the same R Value with block plus insulation as you can with ICF, but for thousands of dollars less, I'd be amazed. Poured walls, it is often pointed out, have more lateral strength than unit masonry walls. But so what, as long as proper backfilling practices are followed?

I've built with block and poured and prefer poured because of the speed of construction and the paucity of skilled blocklayers.

o

Thanks for the info. You are correct because the block quotes have been a couple of thousand less in each case.

o

How does this look? What would you choose with these options?

Thanks!!

HOME FOUNDATION 1257 SQUARE FEET
506 SQUARE FEET ATTACHED GARAGE

We propose the following labor and material to:
1. Form, pour and finish 12” X 24” continuous footing with 2 #5 (5/8”) rebar .#4 (1/2”)vertical rebar 24” on center for wall to footing tie-ins. Vertical bar to be 30” in length with 6” tails.
2. Form / Erect 10” lite form foundation (r-28) with 8’ and 9’ ceiling heights respectively. Walls to have #4 (1/2”) rebar 24” on center each way.
3. The garage walls to be 6’- 8” (5’-8’’buried and 12” exposed. The garage walls to be 8” thick lite form.
4. Pour and finish 1257 square ft. x 4” basement floor with hydronic (hot water) heat piping.
5. Pour and finish 506 square ft. x 5” garage floor with hydronic heating and #4 (1/2”) rebar 24” on center each way.
6. The front and rear porches to be supported by 5 οΏ½οΏ½" 12” x 8’ (7’ buried) 16” x 16” concrete columns. Columns to have 4 #5 (5/8”) vertical rebar with #3 (3/8”) stirrups 12” on center.

Please keep in mind your mortgage will be fixed. The only variables are energy costs. The lite form foundation will keep heating and cooling costs down. This system will save an incredible amount over time. If you move forward you can take your r-factors of a block basement versus the lite form foundation and find the savings. It will truly amaze you the difference not to mention the comfort over the years.
Estimated Costs on 8β€˜lite form foundation - $40,000.00
Estimated costs on 9’ lite form foundation - $42,000.00
Masonry 12β€œ (12” block) core filled 24” on center x 8’ - $36,000.00
8’ Walk-out $40,000.00
Masonry 9’ high basement- $37,000.00
9’ Walk-out $41,000.00

o

Costs are extremely local. So I can only say that in my area, the Toronto GTA, such a small difference between block and ICF would be highly unusual. I would instantly suspect that the block price was exaggerated in order to push me towards the ICF. If the difference were so slight here, ICF would not be so unusual. Also, I don't see why you are quoted on 12" blocks. I have used 10" block on even ten foot walls; it all depends on how much is abovegrade and what reinforcement is specified.

The International Energy Conservation Code 2012 calls for a minimum R19 or R15 continuous in basement walls in your climate.

If you're using hydronic heating, specify foam board under the concrete, otherwise you might end up with next to useless bubble insulation. A Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation study showed foil-faced bubble pack achieving .40 RSI, similar to no insulation and well below Canadian Code minimums.

This post was edited by worthy on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 8:48

o

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here