Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poured walls vs. block walls for basement

Posted by fedude (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 08 at 20:27

I'm building a new house and my builder typically uses block walls. One of the options he offered us was to have poured concrete walls (for slightly more).

Does anyone have any opinions on poured concrete walls vs. cinder block walls for basements? House is a ranch house in upstate NY where most of the houses have block walls.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poured walls vs. block walls for basement

For me, Superior Walls would be first choice, poured as second and block as #3. I have Superior Walls and would readily choose them again.

o

The decision is between 8" poured wall vs. 12" block wall. My builder says the poured wall is stronger.

o

I've built with both, but lately only poured, as blocklayers are few and far between. (The home I'm in now combines poured and block construction.) Block walls have far greater compressive strength than poured walls, but have less lateral strength.

The biggest negative to block walls used to be waterproofing. But using a Delta type membrane or other exterior waterproofing eliminates that differential. There are a host of technical/workmanship matters with both types of walls that are the builder's responsibility to monitor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here