Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whole house de-humidifiers

Posted by busboy (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 07 at 19:29

I am trying to research whole house de-humidifiers for a finished basement. Total area is about 2700 sq.ft. and space is a walkout basement. Have already installed a high eff. York AC with 2 speed and low tonnage to let it run longer but the basement does not loose enough heat to allow it to run long enough. Yes I do have some problems with the downspouts which have been corrected but I am going to have to get the RH down. Portable DH did help but it died so I am going to do it right. Aprilaire is the only one I have seen any literature on. Input invited!
Dave
(this is posted in AC/heat forum as well)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whole house de-humidifiers

You said 'whole house' but is it just for the basement ?
Might look at a portable or ducted unit from SantaFe .

Hightly thought of and usually recommended.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.thermastor.com/Residential-Dehumidification/

o
RE: Whole house de-humidifiers

This may sound odd, but it worked for us. YMMV. The humidity in our basement dropped after we had a radon remediation system installed. The system uses a fan to draw (moist, radon-laden) air from below the basement floor and out of the dwelling. Cracks were sealed with polyurethane caulk, and the sump pit was sealed. No longer needed, our dehumidifier was eventually donated to Goodwill. A radon remediation company could probably tell you if other customers have had experiences like ours.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here