Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christina_mi

dehumidifier fans

christina_mi
14 years ago

Hello,

Ww had a portable dehumidifier in our basement (used in summer only) that worked well for over 10 years, but stopped working this year.

So far we bought 2 different brands (Amana and Frigidaire) and have found that in both units the fan runs all the time, regardless of whether the condenser is running.

Our old unit did not do that, and I would rather a new one didn't either.

The Amana's manual did mention in one place that the fan ran as long as it was "on", but I didn't see it specifically mentioned in the frigidaire manual.

Does anyone know if other brands of portable dehumidifiers do this as well??? I've considered Danby, LG, and soleus, but haven't tried these yet.

I just don't understand why the fan need to run all the time....sigh.

Thanks!

Christina

Comments (6)

• velvetfoot
    14 years ago

My deLonghi does this too.
    I don't like that 'feature' too.
    I don't use it that much, partially because of that.

• bus_driver
    14 years ago

I have a Goldstar and a Whirpool that do not have the fans run all the time. But that may not be the case with their other models. I suppose the continuous fan would help to insure stable humidity levels over a larger area as the sensor is located on the unit and gets signals only from the air nearby.

• christina_mi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I called Frigidaire and spoke with customer support/tech services. They assured me that the fan *does* stop, it just might not be at the exact same time as the condenser. Told me to let it work on constant-on for a couple of days, then adjust it.

And what do you know? They were right!

The Amana's fan, however, doesn't stop - it keeps running.

Bus driver - that explanation at least makes sense to me, thanks!

• peteandnat40_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I too just bought a new soleus dehumidifier and don't like that constant fan runnung...This must be a new feature on dehumidifiers..I hate it! Have you found one that doesn't have this feature because I want to return mine...

• ken06
    12 years ago

I have a brand new 65 pint GE model ADER65LN. The fan runs for 3 minutes after the compressor stops.

• suggi
    12 years ago

The only dehumidifier made today where the fan shuts off when the compressor does and the desired humidity is gotten is EDGESTAR. I( have 2 of them and they are wonderful. However, I heard that Edgestar might go out of the dehumidifier business and the more people that call them, email them, write them will have Edgestar Company continue to make these great machines. I was told by the internet company I bought them from to contact Edgestar and the more the better as they sold thousands of them mainly because of this feature. Edgestar customer service is 866-319-5473 but perhaps checking their website for an email or actually sending a letter would be the best option. Either way, everyone here would be extremely happy with and Edgestar dehumidifier. Not only does it completely shut off when humidity level is reached but it is a very quiet machine also. Really great.