Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for dirt basement

Posted by janie1979 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 07 at 18:20

I have a very old house with a small dirt basement. The basement houses the hot water heater and the furnace. There is a sump pump to keep the water out but the floor remains muddy much of the time. I rarely need to go down there, but would like to do something so I don't have to wade mud when I do go down to check on something. I was thinking of carrying in bags of crushed driveway gravel (do they sell this in bags at someplace like lowes?) and spreading this on the floor. There does not seem to be any problem with moisture in the house or anything so I guess there is plenty of ventilation down there. Does anyone see a big problem with this? The gravel wouldn't wash into the sump pump pit and clog something up would it? Any better ideas? Must be cheap and a do it yourself job that a woman can do!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for dirt basement

If there is a gravel pit or concrete supply place not too far away. you can try to get crushed gravel there. Get some buckets and shovel your own from a bin. In our area it's about 30 cents a bucket for stuff that casts $2 or $3 at the big box store. I think its a great idea.
When you have the gravel in and still feel ambitious you can buy dry mixed concrete, spread it over and in the gravel, and it will suck up the moisture in the basement and harden by itself. Give you a pretty good floor for very little money.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here