Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Support footing in crawl question -- HELP!

Posted by tracey_b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 3, 09 at 18:12

I didn't know where to post, so I might find another forum to x-post in since I need an answer asap.

We have a small crawl space (rest is basement). The crawl has 3 support footings (don't know what they're called) about 4 ft tall (in IL). Just had inspection relating to selling the property (ordered by our Relo company). Inspector said they were "undersized" (but perhaps they were to code 11 years ago when we built?). Now we're gonna have to replace them.....or find someone to come out and say that they are "no problem".

I know "Code" changes all the time. If it was built to code 11 yrs ago (and how do we find that out?), do we have to change it? It's a nice house with no other problems. Our realtor just says "throw $1000 dollars to buyer at closing" but that seems like a lot (or is it?)

Inspector says it needs to be of concrete, not wood (like it is currently). Any thoughts for me???

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Support footing in crawl question -- HELP!

It seems highly unlikely that a structural matter like that would have changed in such a short time. Perhaps your home was not built to Code. Or perhaps the inspector is wrong.

When Codes change, it's not necessary to rebuild the home to meet the new standards.

Certainly concrete block or poured piers are more desirable as they are insect and rot proof.

o
RE: Support footing in crawl question -- HELP!

Thanks.....

Maybe the builder fudged a bit.....great. Not like it was a cheap house (and even then, you expect things to be built at least to code). Maybe, though because of the short length of support, it was all that was required and the inspector maybe didn't know that.... oh well, I'll find out somehow. Yes, concrete makes more sense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here