Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gap between basement floor and wall

Posted by countryboy43 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 4, 10 at 18:00

I'm planning to finish out my half basement and was wondering how best to seal the gap between the poured concrete floor and concrete block walls. After the floor was poured the concrete apparently shrunk leaving a gap that varies from about 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch around the entire perimeter.
My first thought was to brush dry hydraulic cement into the gap and then spray it with water. As the cement hardens it should expand and seal the gap. But then I was afraid that temperature changes might cause the floor to expand/shrink breaking the seal.
My second thought was to try and force clear silicone sealant into the gap which would remain flexible should the floor expand or contract. But I can foresee a problem in getting enough sealant into the rather small opening to effect a permanent seal.
My objective in sealing this gap is mainly to prevent entry of water which happened once when the perimeter drain system failed due to grass clogging the discharge pipe. Sealing the gap would also prevent entry of ants, which Ive had some problems with, as well as reducing the possibility of radon entry.
Any suggestions on how best to do this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gap between basement floor and wall

See here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here