Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bridgetbailey

Can I use a Heat Recovery Ventilator for radon removal?

bridgetbailey
14 years ago

Hi,

We are purchasing a new home and have high radon levels in the basement. We want to save money by trying to fix the problem ourselves. We are also planning on putting our wood stove in the basement as our main source of heat in the winter. We have been looking at different products and are wondering if the below ventilator will work?

http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/vent/fantech/fantechheatrecoverymain.asp

We don't want to lose heat but we want to make sure the radon levels are safe. Please let us know if you think this product will work or if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks!

Bridget :)

Comments (5)

• velvetfoot
    14 years ago

I no expert but I will chime in anyway.

I don't think that fan used as designed will help with the radon. You want a vacuum under the basement slab and exhaust that will exhaust the air containing the zoomies before it gets into the basement.

My place came with a pvc pipe stub that went below the basement slab. I installed a sort of makeshift system that works well, according to the two electronic radon meters we bought. I didn't put a big ugly pipe up the side of the house, just exhausted out the side of the house through a dryer outlet. I used a 15 watt fantech radon fan and it runs all the time.

Without it levels go to 12 or so over a period of several days. With it on it goes down to 1-1.5 .

A wood stove in the basement might not draw that well. Getting the heat to move upstairs can also be a problem. It might be better to put it where you spend the most time. My opinion is that it is best not to use outside air for the stove if you don't need to, but if you have to use one of those fans in your link your house might be too tight not to use one.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

You want to pull air from under the slab, not in the room.

If you have a forced hot air system it is often possible to put a return in the basement room with a wood stove and then block off the upstairs return.

You can then use the thermostat to control just the fan on the system to circulate the heat.

• bridgetbailey
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Velvetfoot & Brickeyee,

Thanks for the advice. I was interested in the Ventilator and was told it would help with the radon too. Our levels are 4.3, not high, but we plan to finish the basement off anyway. The PVC pipe sounds great! I wish our place came with one. I will have to do some research on how to pull air from under the slab. It sounds expensive. I will probably still get the Ventilator. Hopefully it will help in the meantime. I do like the idea of continues fresh air. We don't have a forced hot air system. We have a boiler. We are hoping to use it as little as possible this winter. That is a good idea though!

Thank you both for your help. This sounds like this is going to be a pain.

Bridget

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"I will have to do some research on how to pull air from under the slab. It sounds expensive."

The only part that is moderately difficult is cutting a hole through the slab.
    PVC pipe is then installed, and in line fan, and then exhausted outside as high as you can reasonably get.

Just using an HRV will lower the readings somewhat since you will be driving in air with less radon.

It might even be enough since you are right at the line for doing anything.

The outside run of pipe up the outside of the house is often done using downspout so it tends to blend in.

• PLamoureux
    13 years ago

I am nationally certified in Radon mitigation and yes you can use a Heat recovery ventilator to lower your Radon level.Just make sure you size it properly.In your case with a wood stove in the basement this may actually bring your radon level lower than a sub slab depressurization system would due to thermal stack effect(As heat from fire rises it causes a vacuum pulling radon into the house). The cost for this type of system is typically more than a sub slab system . Also with either system you need to make sure the exhaust vent is at least 18" above the roofline and 10' from any window or the exhausted radon can make its way back into the upper levels of the home. If you have any more questions on Radon feel free to contact me at PLamoureux@Solvitnow.com