Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengirlva

basement wall seepage - grading problem?

gardengirlva
17 years ago

I have had a problem with seepage through my basement walls during heavy rains. The first few times it happened I suspected it may have been because the gutters needed cleaning, but most recently it happened less than a month after I had the gutters cleaned so I think I may have a bigger problem.

I read that sometimes leaking is caused by grading problems. I suspect this may be an issue with my house. I am not sure what the grade is supposed to be but the soil at the foundation is mostly level with the rest of the yard.

What type of home maintenance/repair person would I call to have the grading evaluated/fixed? I am clueless about this sort of thing. I don't want to call a basement waterproofer unless and until I have to as I am afraid they will not consider simple solutions such as grading and instead will want me to buy an expensive waterproofing system.

Also, on two sides of the house there is a wrap-around deck. In the back it is high enough that someone could get underneath to check it out, but on the other side it is only about a foot off the ground (I live midway down a hill). Will the deck have to be removed on that side to fix this problem?

Comments (2)