Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Limestone foundations

Posted by traumensie (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 13, 06 at 15:21

Hi there,
We have a 1920's home that has a limestone foundation. Some time ago someone put some kind of whitewash substance over the limestone, and it's now flaking off in most places. With it, the old mortar (not sure if it's mortar or just dirt) is also coming out here and there. If I scrape off the white wash stuff where it's coming off badly, what can I use to recover it so that I can paint it? Is it possible to apply something that will give me a smoother surface? Currently, the walls look like stone.

Also, how expensive is it to have a basement floor lowered? The total area is approx. 700 sq. feet. The front half of the basement barely has adequate headroom, the back part is just over 5 ft in most places.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here