Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ecostud

Posted by happygirl323 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 14:59

I've been researching products to finish my basement for a while now and have found this product called Ecostud. Is anyone familiar with this product? It won't have the mold or mildew issues like wood studs, rust issues like metal studs and appears to meet most code requirements. Which may not be the case with insofast, another product I researched.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ecostud

Firestopping is required in walls. In most instances, a conventional top plate will be sufficient for horizontal blocking.

But if you're using plastic, you will have to make special provisions.

I note the website says the system is a "simple concept designed for the novice, do-it-yourself installer." Who, may we presume, may not be conversant with such Code requirements.

o

Hi Worthy,

I had hoped you would respond to my post. I've gain a lot of insight from you and the building science website. I have an older house that has firestop in the rim joists. Is that sufficient? Is there a better product on the market to use instead?

Thanks again for your help.

o

Hi Worthy,

I had hoped you would respond to my post. I've gain a lot of insight from you and the building science website. I have an older house that has firestop in the rim joists. Is that sufficient? Is there a better product on the market to use instead?

Thanks again for your help.

o

See the linked diagrams for fire-blocking details in finished basements based on the 2009 IRC. Keep in mind that both horizontal and vertical fireblocking is required.

If you're OK with surface wiring, rigid foam board that uses nailing strips is a speedy way of insulating and finishing basement walls. (Dow Wallmate is one brand.)

Light-metal framing is a simple, clean way to frame basements.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement Details

o

Hi Worthy,

Thanks, this is very helpful. I'm renovating a poorly finished basement. I want to make sure it's done right this time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here