Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
musty smell, one corner, no apparent mold

Posted by lukeathome (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 12, 10 at 14:12

Hi,

We have an old 1939 brick two-story house with a cement brick foundation and basement. My wife hates basements, so a couple years ago, we started finishing it by putting up studs, plastic, insulation and drywall. It's not mudded yet.

Since then, there is a musty smell on the FIRST floor in one corner of the house. There is no smell in the basement, but sometimes there is one spot on the stairs when walking up from the basement that I smell the same smell.

In February (winter), I took one of the walls a part and I didn't see any mold on the wall under the corner that smells.

In the past, we've had to run dehumidifier in the basement in the spring/early summer (when no AC) to keep a constant humidity. It wasn't too hard to keep it under 60%rh, so it wasn't a terribly damp basement. Now, we don't need to use the dehumidifier much at all, which makes me think it's all just trapped in the wall.

Anything else I'm missing? Any suggestions? I'd like to make sure this is all ok before I try mudding the walls. I'd sure hate to have to pull down all the walls.

Thanks!


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: musty smell, one corner, no apparent mold

A plastic vapour barrier and fg are the worst choices for insulating basement walls. But if that's what you have, at least keep the humidity below 50% RH.

I suspect the odour is taking the easiest route to your nose. Not all mould is visible. And not knowing your construction, details, it 's possible that the mould is growing under the base plates for your walls.

Are you sure it's not sewer gas from a dry trap or unvented appliance? The bathroom in a rental house I owned always had a dank smell. I attributed the aroma to the hygienically challenged university students who lived there. But when they moved and I renoed, I found the appliances were vented into the wall, not into a stack.

Here is a link that might be useful: Building Science Corp. on Basement Insulation


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here