Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1870 house, stone foundation - what about the basement?

Posted by gp193 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 14:05

We are considering buying an old house that is set on a stone foundation, and the basement is a little scary. I don't have much experience with old homes, so I am hoping that some of you may be able to allay my fears.

The basement has stone/mortar walls and a concrete floor. It is divided into several small areas and houses the laundry, furnace, oil tank and hot water heater. The floor is uneven, has some small cracks, and slopes in various directions. There is a sump pump.

Here's why the basement scares me: there is efflorescence on the stone walls and visible moisture on the floors and the area where the walls meet the floor. I think there is a bit of a runoff problem on the outside of the house.

Is this just your average old basement, or is this something to run from? I would really like to use the basement for storage, as the rest of the house is lacking in that department. I am also worried about having the major systems in a wet basement that looks like it could flood. Is there really a way to make this sort of basement more "finished", at least by making it whitewashed, clean and drier? Or is this just what we'd live with if we buy such an old home? Any potential hazards I haven't mentioned here?

Thanks for your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1870 house, stone foundation - what about the basement?

Before the mid-20th Century, basements were not looked on as potential living and dry storage places. However, limestone and rubble basements can be converted for such uses from the outside or from the inside. For one approach to inside insulation, waterproofing, see here.

The efflorescence and visible dampness point to specific exterior issue that will have to be addressed. You just factor it into your price.

o
RE: 1870 house, stone foundation - what about the basement?

Efflorescence is actually lime leaching out from the mortar between the stone. This can only happen if water is present. The solution is to remove as much water as possible from the area. This can be accomplished by installing an interior drain tile system.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here