Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Taping of XPS

Posted by hybl (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 8, 10 at 12:38

What is the best way to tape XPS seams in a basement installation? Also what is the best way to seal the bottom of the XPS to the concrete floor?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Taping of XPS

In Canada, Tuck tape is the standard. Tyvek is another popular sheathing tape. Sealing the bottom is not all that important if the concrete screws are holding it tight along the bottom. If you want, hand-held multi-purpose polyurethane spray foams do a good job.

Tuck Tape is one of several sheathing tapes
used to seal XPS boards.

o
RE: Taping of XPS

I think the Tyvek is whats available here in the states. I caulked along the bottom with some sort of stuff..do not recall the name...the acoustical stuff they use on Holmes on Homes I was never able to find. I did half my basement in the xps. When my new heat pump died I had one register put in place (I need to get others added late). My basement used to get to 58 at its coldest. I did not see it get lower than 62 this past winter---and I still have nothing on the floor, nor have I drywalled everything. The XPS would appear to be a great investment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here