Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
basic ideas...

Posted by hairmetal4ever (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 11 at 11:36

Fishing for ideas for finishing a basement.

1. Egress windows for a bedroom - it appears that it's "code" to require an egress window in a basement bedroom. Without a "walkout" or "daylight" basement, does anyone have ideas on how to make this a bit more attractive than the plastic half-circle that you usually see around the dug-out area?

2. Ceilings - acoustic or drywall? I realize drywall looks MUCH better, but then anytime you need to repair plumbing, electrical, cable, etc...it's a pain. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: basic ideas...

1) I surmise by the "plastic, half-circle" to which you refer you are meaning a window well. The ones I see are generally galvanized steel and corrugated. I painted mine white on the inside to reflect better light. I've seen some actually built of stone which are really attractive.

2) Personally I like drywall because it just makes the space seem more like part of the house. Drywall can be easily repaired. Consider access panels for locations that you might need to open like heating dampers. Building code requires that all electrical junction boxes be accessible. When finishing our basement I installed 2x4's flat over the joists in order to bridge existing electrical/plumbing. This provides space to fish future cable. I also installed some vacant conduit to accommodate future electrical needs.

The most useful suggestion I can offer is to draw a plan to scale. Place masking tape on the floor to imagine spaces. Consider lighting, plumbing, heating and features. Whether you are DIY'ing or obtaining a professional quote, a plan will assure you get what you want.

I'm attaching a photo gallery of our basement. It was DIY'ed. Some of the photos have explanatory information below the picture. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement

o

I also had the idea of putting PVC pipe along the length of a few of the studs as a "futureproof" way to fish extra wires and cables across the room as needed, with access boxes at strategic locations if I need to get in there to shoot something up to the main floor.

o

A chaseway is a good idea. I would suggest separate ones for electrical vs. cable. High probability of electrical interferrence if they are too close to one another.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here