Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
basement insulation - kraft or no kraft?

Posted by homebound (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 19, 07 at 10:40

I've been through all the posts on basement insulation options. Simple question:
To leave the kraft facing on the batts or remove it before the drywall?

Overview:
mostly below grade
3/4" R-4 solid extruded foam is glued to the foundation wall
2x4 stud cavity
kraft-faced now installed (kraft toward finished side)

Thanks.

(BTW, think the dens armor mold resistant drywall is a good idea or overkill in general? I used it once on another job and that stuff can scratch you up pretty good with it's fiberglass facing. I use my knee to lift drywall sheets, and after a day I has a 2" diameter open brush wound on my knee. Arms were itching like heck, too.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: basement insulation - kraft or no kraft?

According to Building Science Corp., as long as you have the foam on the foundation wall, it doesn't make much difference if you leave poly on or not. Kraft-faced is more permeable than poly. So I would leave it and just be sure that basement humidity doesn't exceed 50%.

o

That's logical and reassuring. Now I can leave it on without worrying about trapping moisture. Thanks very much.

o

Using the Kraft over my 1.5" XPS in a stud wall gives me something to more easily keep the insulation from falling. Can one stapple to the inside of the stud so the outside vertical edge of the stud is available for liquid nails...want to add some beding the drywall. Does sit affect the R Value?

o

It will affect the "Arrrrgh! Value" for anyone that has to make some repairs or changes down the road. No reason for liquid nail behind there - stick with the drywall screws.

o

Ha! I had heard it (l n) prevents nail / screw pops)pops...better be no trouble back there after all this! Noted though, will use as meant to be used.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here