Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cedrbp

basement walls cracks - who's right?

cedrbp
9 years ago

we bought a very small bungalow house last november - 750sq feet with a full basement underneath. very dry, evidence of water from the past due to the dusty red clay stain across the floor - i suspect rainwater rushing down the stairs from the backyard unable to flow through clogged floor drain at the stair landing. when we got it the bulkhead was nothing more than a plastic sheet. there are stair step and horizontal cracks on two walls. called two basement/foundation companies. both sent out what appeared to be knowledgable sales guys with lots of slick literature and power point presentations. very nice men who were very concerned about the well being of our house.
guy #1 said two walls were "failed" just upon visual inpection but then measured the displacement, not with a plumb bob but a level - aid it was over 2", recommended 6 foundation wall plates - that includes the earth plates in the yard to which they are attached. price $7K. guy #2 ideintified the same two walls as failed as soon as he walked downstairs, never measured. his recommendations, 9 helical ties and three steel beams. cost: $14K. both think they other guy is not recommending the right job. NC law requires an engineer make the final assessment before the work is done. they each have the engineers who work exclusively for them. so who's right? we called an independent engineer for his unbiased opinion for $275. he said its normal for a 60 year old house. the displacement is less than 2" so at this point to seal/reinforce the walls with SAKRETE or something similar. he aid carbon fiber is okay, but considers it overkill - its way more expensive. he rated the home structurally sound as per NC residential code. he recommended keeping an eye on any movement but at this time no further reinforcement needed. there are no cracks anywhere in the upstairs walls. he also said to grade the yard to pitch rainwater away from the house - which we had already planned to do. the cracks are the result of water leaking around the outside of the foundation as previous owner did no home maintenance for the past 20 years. the grading is done.

my question is, what are other's experiences with foundation/basement wall repair sales guys. we don't care about finishing the basement. we actually like being able to keep an eye on the structure. do companies that do that kind of work typically take their customers to the cleaners? how do you know?

oh yeah, soil is notorious red clay
thanks a bunch

Comments (6)

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Those companies are in business to make money. No one should expect them to donate their services. But pushing unnecessary services is dishonest.
    And the quoted prices seem very high to me. But I have not purchased such services.

• worthy
    9 years ago

Since when is a two-inch displacement, more or less, in a block wall, "normal" in a 60-year old house? Not in my builder's book anyway. (But then I'm not in N.C.)

If your "unbiased" engineer's opinion is only verbal, don't try taking that to Court.

This post was edited by worthy on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 9:36

• cedrbp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hi worthy,

its a certified assessment - in writing/stamped, not verbal. i wouldn't pay $275 for someone's word. he measured the worst "bow" at less than 2" its all in writing.

however, how do i know which foundation repair guy is right - if either? two diff methods to "straighten" a wall - each claims the other guy is wrong and they're right. how am i supposed to know who is right? that's my question. do you do wall/foundation repair? i'd like your opinion on how to tell who is right - any red flags i should look out for? i also questioned their assessment of a "failed wall" without measuring. one guy did eventually but somehow came up with over 2". i don't doubt they can "fix" my walls but i want them to insure they don't bow anymore. i don't care if they are straightened. the floors above are level. no leaks through the wall. i don't ever intend to finish the basement.

thanks for your insight

• cedrbp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wanted to clarify: i reviewed the engineers report and he wrote "no more than 1 inch out of plumb" when describing the condition of the walls. i used the word "displacement" i don't know if that was the appropriate term.

• worthy
    9 years ago

Just as surgeons choose different approaches and methods to repairs, there's no "right" way to straighten/reinforce foundation walls. (Though I'd sure be sceptical of anyone who claimed to find out-of-plumb double your engineer's measurement.) I'd follow your expert's advice and take immediate action to divertthe rain water far away from the foundation. Not just splashpads, but solid pipes to spread the water around your property. I build new--after too many years of messing around with other people's mistakes--and always do these diversions.

This post was edited by worthy on Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 10:29

• cedrbp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks worthy, we had a guy with a skid come in and regrade and he also buried pipes to divert rainwater, they port to the meadow that is part of our property behind the house. wish it would rain so we could see the changes in action.

i understand your frustrations dealing with somebody else's mistakes. we bought this from the bank. the previous owner had inherited it and did nothing for 20 years. he then took out an equity loan during the bubble and well, you can figure out the rest. we got a great deal and knew we would be investing $$$ - just want to make sure we were spending the appropriate amount on each fix. i want a clean but unfinished basement to store tools, have a laundry space and put a ping pong table. i don't feel confident finishing a basement in an older house. i like being able to see the walls, the floors and up into the joists in order to nip any troubles in the bud.