Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement Renovation planning: Help!

Posted by navi_jen (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 16, 10 at 10:22

Hi,

I purchased an 1918 farmhouse in Boston suburbs last fall. Its got a sloping lot, so the back half of the unfinished basement is walk out. It's a small house (1.75 stories, 2 beds, 1 bath, 1000 square feet) so somewhere down the line, I'd like to add a family room (and potentially a half or 3/4 bath) in the basement.

However, I need to replace the existing heating, electric, kitchen and bath before I get to the basement renovation. While I have all the walls open upstairs, there anything I should do NOW to faciliate this later build-out (particularly for the bath)?

For those who are plumbing inclined, I'm assuming I would need a sewage ejector, but not really sure how those work. Also, for some reason, even though I only have 1 kitchen and 1 bath, there are already 2 vent stacks that protrude up to the roof. Can I repurpose one of those for the sewage ejector? Existing waste stack is a mix of 4' cast iron & pvc...will be replacing all to 4' pvc. Also, sewer ladder unfortunately enters the basement approx 5 feet off the floor on the front side of the house.

Thanks in advance...

Jen

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement plan idea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement Renovation planning: Help!

What a charming house! I love your antique kitchen lights.

Sorry, but I can't answer your questions. However, I'm wondering if you really need to have a hallway beside the stairs.

o
RE: Basement Renovation planning: Help!

the ejector pump will simply sit down into a sump pit, and turn on and off as needed, pumping the "contents" vertically to where the ejector line ties into the existing waste line and then flows along with everything else via gravity. note, if you already have a sump pump and pit, you can just swap in an ejector pump and remove the 1 1/2" sump drain line and replace with a 2" pipe. regarding the existing vent line, you'll need to confirm proper function, and yes you do need to have a vent line out of the sump pit, so if the vent is OK, I don't see why you couldn't utilize it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here