Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oceanman22

Waste sump for basement toilet question

oceanman22
10 years ago

We recently moved into a house that has a finished basement with bath. My question is this:

When I flush the basement toilet, the sump pump in the sealed basin will run for about 5 seconds and then shut off. It seems to me that there should be longer cycle time between flushes.
I am thinking that the float on the Zoeller pump is somehow not operating properly. Other than that, the system seems to work perfectly. No odors, leaks, etc.

The toilet is hardly used and in fact since we moved in, I have been flushing it daily with the hope of correcting the frequent flushing.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I have not yet got the nerve yet to open the basin. I am very familiar with ground water basement sumps, but a sewer sump to me is another level.

Comments (2)

• egbar
    10 years ago

the sump attached to your toilet probably has a sewer ejection pump rather than a sump pump. They are more powerful and designed to eject sewage (chunks and particles, to put it inelegantly) rather than just liquids. Your ejection pump may not have to run longer because 5 seconds does the job of pushing the stuff that was flushed into the sewer. If you don't have problems with the toilet flushing correctly, there is no smell, no leaking, then you probably don't have problems with the time it takes for the ejection pump to work. You could try to talk to a plumber who does this kind of work and just ask about it, or find a good plumbing forum and ask the question there. I suspect your worries are due to the fact that sump pumps run longer to empty than your new ejection pump does, and that is sort of comparing apples to oranges. best wishes

• privatesurftime
    6 years ago

I respectively disagree with Egbar as he failed to realize that the pump in question is cycling with every flush. For what is probably a 30 gallon pit, there is no way the float should trigger after adding 2-3 gallons of water unless his pit is a 5-gallon pit. (Which I highly doubt)

I had the same problem. My pump ran after every toilet flush. However, I myself, remodeled my basement to make a home theater and since I gutted EVERYTHING down to the foundation, I decided to add a bathroom . I dug the pit myself and am using the appropriate ejector pump. When the system was brand new, the pump would cycle at every 4th toilet flush. Then it decreased to every 3 flushes. Needless to say, it eventually went to 2 flushes and finally 1 flush. I reluctantly removed the lid and there was a build-up of solid material which I attribute to my failing to properly maintain the system as I should have. The system requires the same care and precautions as one's outdoor septic system. I believe that If the system is used regularly with septic safe toilet paper, flushing only septic safe items, and regular daily use, there should never be a problem until the pump eventually fails. My mistake was minimal use and anti-bacterial soap. Anti-bacterial soap inhibits the natural formation of the bacteria that is required for solid waste breakdown. I also recommend adding commercial products that help to break down the solid matter. It's the same product that people use in their camper RV's/yachts, etc. I never added any since I installed the system in 2001. It was June 2017 when I opened the lid for the 1st time. I plan to add the product monthly and avoid using the sink/toilet for a day, to give it time to work. I know this is a 3 year old post question, but it might help people who are having the same problem.

I'm curious what the outcome was , with the original poster.

best of luck to all.......