Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klhicks

Vapor Barrier Sealing

klhicks
17 years ago

I am trying to resolve many issues concerning my basement. Here is the makeup of my basement; I have 2in polystyrene with I believe six mil poly under my basement slab. I did this to allow my floor to heat up much quicker by separating the ground temp for the infloor heat I ran. So I'm pretty sure my floor is not the source of the musty ordor I keep smelling. My wife and I quit using the shower in the basement because I have do not have it ventilated yet. I have 9 foot walls that I would like to seal up. Problem is that the my contractor framed the basement when I really did not want this yet....either way, I put up R19 insulation between the studs. I Have put 6 or 8 mil poly on some of the walls.

My main question is will having the insulation and the studs in contact with the concrete wall while the vapor barrier contacts the sheet rock be ok? I don't want my studs creating a breeding ground for mold which will eat its way toward the sheet rock or simply rotting out the studs. I also want to eliminate the musty smell. The contractor did not any kind of sealer on the outside or inside of the poured walls. Do I need to cut down the studded walls and add a sealant to the concrete and then put my studs back up?

My second question comes in the area of sweating pipes. I'm currently sealing these to prevent them from sweating. My issue is how do I seal my water bladder tank(well water) from sweating?

I do not want to purchase or use an energy hog such as a dehumidify. My infloor does seem to work for the most part, but I am not seeing how I'm saving as much as the power company says I am by using that verses a dehumidifier.

Comments (2)