Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
10 foot ceilings in walk out basement

Posted by sotwell (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 08 at 8:52

We had our custom home built last year with a 2000 sqft unfinished basement. We are about to start the project to finish. We installed 10 foot walls expecting to have to drop the ceiling but the HVAC can run through the upper floor joists.

Does anyone have a 10 foot tall walk out basement? How does it look?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 10 foot ceilings in walk out basement

Most of the ceiling in my basement is 9'. I have soffits around the perimeter of the main room for the hvac/plumbing. I think it looks great. The high ceiling changes the feel of the rooms. It doesn't feel like a basement.

o

Any drop ceiling basement, says, "this is a basement."
Install drywall on the ceiling if you do not want a basement look. Everyone tried to convince me that I needed access, wrong! After 15 years, I have had no reason to access my sheetrock ceiling. I measured where everything was located in case the need did arise.

o

Does it look good?

It depends on the proportions and the window size and placement. Narrow high-ceilinged rooms with typical basement sliders at the very top can make you feel like you've fallen down a well.

On the other hand, a double glass door or larger walkout to a below-grade patio can open up the space to the outside in an inviting way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here